• Natural Dog

The Hidden Dangers of Mould for you and your Dog

Black mould is a type of Fungi, it comes in the form of mould, its part of the fungi family such as mushrooms, toadstools and mildews… Many are harmless but some are deadly and can cause serious infections. Black Mould loves to grow on cellulose on things like straw, grains, paper and wood. It thrives in humidity and loves bathrooms and damp areas. It will find its way to your home wherever water has got in so always keep your home well ventilated, and let a little sunshine in. Black Mould

  • Is a fungus called Stachybotrys chartarum.

  • Black mould poisoning is called stachybotryotoxicosis (literally “poisoned by stachybotrys”).

  • Black mould can increase the chances of having respiratory difficulties, chest tightness and headaches, it is also a real irritation to your sinuses .

The symptoms of black mould infection in pets can range from allergic type sniffles to joint pain and blood clotting problems.

  • Runny nose

  • Sneezing

  • Nosebleeds

  • Lameness (because of bleeding in the joints)

  • Skin rashes and sores (on thin-furred areas such as the belly or armpits in pets)

  • Loss of appetite

  • Lethargy

  • Trembling

In extreme cases can lead to blood transfusion but more commonly antibiotics to fight secondary infections. Your vet will repeat blood tests to monitor liver function. The pet must rest to reduce the risk of knocks and bumps, which could cause bleeding.

It is crucial to get rid of black mould and seek professional advise if you are not sure of the cause and removal. Black mould in the home is potentially very dangerous indeed. Not only could your pets be at risk, but it also poses a threat to your health.

If black mould is present in your home, and you are not feeling yourself or your pet has allergy-type symptoms it would be a good idea to visit your doctor immediately or consult your local vet.


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All